Saturday, September 6, 2008

How To Create Sodium Oxide


HOW TO CREATE SODIUM OXIDE WITH HOUSEHOLD MATERIALS WITHOUT BLOWING YOURSELF UP

Extracting sodium from sodium chloride using electrolysis is the easiest and most efficient way to extract sodium and is used all over the world today and it can be done at home, it’s just that no web sites or references ever tell you how because of the danger of it combusting or reacting. Sodium then quickly combines with oxygen in the air to form sodium oxide. Sodium oxide not only reacts violently with water and acids, it is also corrosive and can burn or destroy flesh. Of course, I haven’t tried it because of these reasons, but it should be possible. You shouldn’t even think of trying this either. But theoretically, here’s how it should be done:

1. Collect a few size D or 9 volt batteries. If you don’t have many, one should suffice if it isn’t completely used up or expired. If you don’t have any, collect a few AA or AAA batteries.
2. Collect a length of bell wire. If you don’t have any, you could get some at places like Home Depot. They also come with most electricity science kits.
3. Get two needles. They have to be metal so they can conduct electricity.
4. Collect quite a bit of sodium chloride, or table salt. It’s best to get pure salt, not iodized salt or something like that.
5. Get a pair of waterproof gloves and safety goggles.
6. Moisten the salt quite a bit, then microwave it so it dries and clumps up.
7. Wait for a dry day. Sodium oxide reacts explosively with the smallest amount of liquid water, so be careful to select a day with low humidity.
8. Cut the bell wire into pieces, many short and two long. Tape the smaller pieces of wire to the batteries, the positive terminal of one to the negative terminal of the next. Do not make a loop of batteries or short circuit any or all of the batteries. That could create an explosion that could result in injury or death.
9. Put the chain of batteries near a flat, dry, non-metal surface in a place with good ventilation. Make sure everything is completely dry.
10. Tape one end of each of the two long wires to the chain of batteries and the other end to a needle. Make sure the needles don’t touch. Put an extra large amount of tape where the bell wire and the needles meet. That will be where you hold the needles.
11. Put the salt in a big lump on the flat surface.
12. Put on the waterproof gloves and safety goggles. You wouldn’t want any sweat to get on the sodium oxide and the sodium oxide to get on you.
13. Hold one needle in each hand. Roll down your sleeves if you have long sleeves. Stick one needle into each side of the clump of salt.
14. Depending on the batteries, white or grey granules or powder will begin to form in either a few seconds or a few minutes. Move the needles around when this happens so the electricity has to take different paths.
15. Soon, most of the salt would have become sodium oxide. You don’t have to make it all sodium oxide, as long as it’s enough so that it will blow up. Remove the needles and disconnect the batteries.
16. Tilt the surface so that all the sodium oxide slides into a bucket, bag, bowl, box, or other container.
17. Keeping your protective goggles and waterproof gloves on, dump it in your pool or squirt lemon juice in it. If you don’t have access to either one, dump it in your friends swimming pool.
18. RUN!!!!!

4 comments:

  1. 1. You need more than 700°C to melt salt, that's not possible in any home.
    2. Some metals can burn, melt or at least oxidise at that temperatures.
    3. When sodium reacts with air it easily explodes, and at that temperature sodium can ve a vapor.
    4.Na2O, Na2O2 and NaO2 can react with gaseous water easily (and unless you dry the air, it will take water from it), even a dry day has sufficient water.
    5. It also produces chlorine (at a big temperature) that can burn and oxidise a lot of materials, metals, clothes, your lungs, concrete, etc. VERY TOXIC
    I'm sorry to ruin your post but I'm sure it can't be done as easily as it sounds and a lot of people can get injured trying to make it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry but this can be done in a rough vacuum in a microwave for small quantities using a carbide suscepter such as Silicon Carbide or Zirconium and even graphite. (Alternatively you can use magentite)

    You will need to create a refractory insulation wall which will sit inside your vacuum vessel which fits inside the microwave. The carbide or susceptor will heat up as it absorbs the microwave while the rest remains transparent to the microwave. I suggest using SIC powder because it couples at room temp and can take you up to 1,000 C For your vessel which holds the Sodium oxide I would use borosilicate glass or coat the chamber with crushed glass and borax. (Fire it first before using) ON second thought get some labware -borosilicate glass.

    You will need to pump down the roughing vacuum and dry the air. You can use a zeolite filter with a hand pump to do this at low cost.

    Do not do this without googling and learning more on the process and do this outside with a microwave you will only use for experimentation.

    I am not responsible for you killing yourself.

    Learn proper procedure and you should be fine.

    I am only providing an inexpensive means available to anyone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You could also use the first instruction set, and use nitinol wire or other induction heating wire.

    Make yourself a glove box using acrylic or other plastic but make sure it wont outgas, will withstand the vacuum without imploding, and will not react. Alternatively use a borosilicate flask where you have an opening for pulling the vacuum and the top which can be secured by a cork with a glass rod holding the heating element within it. If you have a decent seal you should be able to pump down the gas that is released while you perform the electro-chemistry.

    You can use zeolites to help absorb the gas you are pumping to the other chamber. Or some other getter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. = sodium chlorite. a reacting oxide if you did it in water. you can do it with water softener salt too for potassium chlorite

    ReplyDelete